In exploring and learning the practice of R.A.I.N. during this 4-week program, participants can expect to spend time with each of its components – Recognize / Allow / Investigate / Nourish, as well as mindfulness fundamentals applicable to all meditation practices.
All experience levels are welcome, whether you are new to meditation or an experienced practitioner wanting to inject new energy into an existing routine. Tara states in her book Radical Compassion, that the R.A.I.N. practice “will help you respond to life in a way that expresses the truth and depth and spirit of who you are. This is the gift of RAIN: living from your full potential”. Participants are encouraged to bring a spirit of curiosity and play, as we explore, learn and practice in community with one another.
* There are 4 weekly meetings, held consecutively; each meeting is 1 1⁄2 hour in length.
* Participants will be asked to commit to the full 4 weeks of the course.
Week 1. What is R.A.I.N.; & what is it to Recognize?
Week 2. Review, & what are we Allowing in R.A.I.N.?
Week 3. Mindfulness of body, thoughts, and emotions, and the quality of Investigating!
Week 4: Now we Nourish … and open to “After the R.A.I.N.”
* Each Week’s content includes a talk on the topic for the week; guided meditation; and time for Q & A.
* Please bring a willingness to welcome diverse experiences and identities.
* At the end of the course, you will be asked to complete a brief evaluation form as feedback to support Max’s learning.
* One meeting will be recorded for viewing solely by Max’s MMTCP mentor for skills evaluation; the camera will remain focused solely on Max, and identities will be protected for privacy.
About the Teacher
Maxine (“Max”) Christopher, she/her/hers, obtained her Master’s degree at Iliff Theological School in
2020, and has been serving as an interfaith spiritual caregiver in hospital settings, and as a volunteer
with the American Red Cross Disaster Spiritual Care team. Max is currently engaged in the certification
process to become a Board recognized interfaith Chaplain with the Association of Professional Chaplains
(APC), and is in her final months of a 2-year training in secular mindfulness meditation with Jack
Kornfield and Tara Brach (Mindfulness Meditation Teacher Certification Program ,MMTCP). This 4-week
program entitled “R.A.I.N, a mindfulness practice for daily living” has been crafted by Max as the
culminating Practicum for her certification with MMTCP.